July 25, 2022 PCI Centers
What is addiction recovery treatment and what are the different types available?
Addiction treatment does not come in a one-size-fits-all package. Everyone is unique, and different treatments work for different people—what works for one person may or may not work for another. Treatments differ depending on what is required for the individual. Individuals entering treatment have the advantage of selecting the personalized treatment plan that is best for them—they will work with a team of professionals who are highly trained in working with addiction treatment and mental health services to tailor a treatment plan that best fits their needs.
The following are some of the most common and successful types of addiction treatment available:
- Medically assisted detoxification is a process that allows your body to essentially cleanse itself of the toxic chemicals and other substances that your body has been harboring, and it is done in a completely safe environment (Underwood, 2020)
- This type of treatment is helpful because substance withdrawal is usually extremely unpleasant and can cause life-threatening physical symptoms (Underwood, 2020)
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT)
- CBT is a type of treatment that can be used for a wide variety of addictions, including food, alcohol, and prescription drug addictions (Underwood, 2020)
- CBT can assist an individual in recognizing their unhealthy behavior patterns, identifying what triggers these behaviors, and assisting the individual in determining ways to manage these skills (Underwood, 2020)
- CBT is often used in conjunction with other mental health treatments to assist the individual in reaching long-term sobriety.
- 12-Step Facilitation
- Although twelve-step facilitation therapy (also known as “12 step programs”) can be used to treat both alcohol and substance abuse, it is most commonly used to treat alcohol abuse (Underwood, 2020)
- It is a type of group therapy that emphasizes the fact that the root of addiction is multifaceted, with social, emotional, spiritual, and physical origins (Underwood, 2020)
- This type of therapeutic treatment begins with acceptance and progresses to becoming more involved in and remaining more consistent in attending meetings (Underwood, 2020)
- Individuals who have undergone alcohol or substance detoxification typically attend weekly meetings for the 12-step process, which typically takes the form of Alcoholics Anonymous (AA), Narcotics Anonymous (NA), and so on
- Treatment involving medication
- The use of medication often plays an important role in recovery, especially when it’s combined with other behavioral therapies (Underwood, 2020)
- There are medications for almost everything; some medications can be used to reduce food cravings, improve mood, and reduce addictive behaviors in general (Underwood, 2020)
Medical professionals must always be precise and cautious when prescribing medications in order to ensure that patients’ conditions improve
How does addiction recovery treatment work and how can it help you or a loved one?
You or a loved one would make an appointment to visit an addiction treatment facility. Following the completion of the tour, the individual would meet with the facility director to discuss their addiction history in detail in order to obtain a complete picture of how to treat the individual properly. You would go over the various treatment options and plans that would be best for you.
At PCI, we believe that no two addictions are identical, which is why our treatment plans are highly individualized. We offer a variety of treatment options in order to meet your needs optimally. We provide individualized care based on the treatment objectives established during the initial evaluation. As treatment progresses, treatment objectives and outlets can expand and evolve.
What to expect from long-term addiction recovery treatment – the process, staff, and facilities
At PCI, our treatment team is composed of master’s and doctoral level clinicians, a double-board certified MD, and many other professionals who consistently collaborate to provide the best possible care for all our patients. Our medical director oversees the overall medical management of every individual’s substance use disorder and any co-occurring conditions and/or disorders.
PCI offers numerous treatment options. Both an intensive outpatient program (IOP) and a less intensive outpatient program are available (OP). You can read more about our IOP program here and our OP program here.
How to find the right addiction recovery treatment program for your needs.
It is critical to consider what you require for recovery treatment. Asking yourself questions about what you need, as well as talking with loved ones to get an outside perspective on what’s going on, will help you get started in the right direction. Taking all of this into account when researching treatment options and comparing different treatment plans is critical.
The benefits of long-term addiction recovery treatment – lasting sobriety, improved mental health, and more.
When you go through addiction recovery, you gain a multitude of benefits. First and foremost is achieving sobriety. After you achieve sobriety, you gain a much clearer perspective on yourself. Your mental health and clarity will improve significantly. You will also be able to strengthen your bonds with family and friends as you have more free time and less to worry about.
Underwood, C. (2020, December 12). 6 treatments for addiction that are proven successful. WebMD. Retrieved July 18, 2022, from https://www.webmd.com/connect-to-care/addiction-treatment-recovery/successful-treatments-for-addiction